The Town of North Salem is located in the northeastern corner of Westchester County, New York. It encompasses 23 square miles and is noted for its open lands, lakes, and reservoirs. Some 50 miles north of New York City, the town has a population of 5200 and includes the hamlets of Croton Falls and Purdys.
The North Salem Free Library, now called Ruth Keeler Memorial Library, was started in 1932 in two rooms on the main floor of the Town House, with 1600 books contributed by the Universalist Church. In 1939, it moved to the North Salem Grade School (since burned down and replaced by the firehouse). In 1952, the library was granted an absolute charter by the State of New York. In 1957 the library was moved back to the Town House where it remained until the current library building was constructed in 1980. A major expansion and renovation that just about doubled the library's size was completed in 2003. The project was funded with private donations, both by larger gifts and selling a "square foot" to people in the community.
In 2005 the library was renamed "Ruth Keeler Memorial Library" in recognition of the major contribution given by the Ruth Keeler Charitable Trust, established by Miss Keeler before her death in 2003. The money from the Trust enabled the library to pay off the mortgage.